Rain Is Comin'!
San Diego’s favorite eco-rocker Storm Drayne is back with his latest single, reminding everyone to "Remember Rain"! Forgetting to clean up yard waste, chemicals, and leaves is no excuse to contaminate our coveted #SanDiegoBay. "Don’t Give Leaves a Bad Name" and pick up a rake this rainy season! Not only will you help preserve the environment, you might get a decent workout! Remember, at the end of the day, we all want to enjoy our bay. #ThatsMyBay
Be sure to check out Storm Drayne's other hits - Storm Drayne - Unplugged, These Leaves - Clear the Way for a Rainy Day feat. Storm Drayne, Clean This Oil My Man and Rain is Comin'
Storm Drayne wants you to know:
- Rain does not simply wash litter “away.”
- Rain washes litter downstream into a river, storm drain or even straight into San Diego Bay.
- But that isn't the only thing that gets washed into the bay.
- Extra fertilizers on the lawn, leaked oil in the driveway, and chemical cleaners used on cars – the rain carries it all to the bay.
- The only way to keep these harmful substances away from the sea turtles, seahorses and other marine life, is to keep them from being washed away by the rain to begin with!
Prep before it rains to make sure storm drains stay clear:
- Make sure trash cans are covered with secure lids.
- Clear excess debris from lawns such as leaves and extra grass that can clog drains.
- Soak-up driveway oil leaks with kitty litter, then sweep into a bag and dispose of properly. Click here for County of San Diego Household Hazardous Waste Information Contact List
- Use environmentally friendly pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers to reduce the pollutants getting washed away.
More ways to take care of your bay:
We know you love your bay, you own it, you want to take care of it, it’s your number one priority; you are ready to change your relationship status to make it official. Okay, maybe that’s a bit much, but we all love San Diego Bay and want to be sure it stays the pristine natural resource it is for generations to come. When you visit, we want you to say to yourself, #ThatsMyBay! And sometimes, it just takes a simple reminder not to take your bay for granted. So the Port of San Diego is here with helpful tips and suggestions on how we can all do our part to keep our bay looking classy, not trashy!
Take Care of Your Trash
San Diego Bay doesn’t just belong to all of us - it belongs to each of us.
Traveling With Trash
Keep a Monkey Grip on Your Trash! Hang-on Hank says, "When traveling with trash, be sure it doesn't escape from your car or truck so there is no risk of it blowing into the bay."
Mime Your Butts
MIke the Mime’s message is loud and clear - Mime Your Butts!
Keep A Lid On It
Meet Trash Trooper Trish and help us keep our bay clean by keeping a lid on it!
Two bay loving bros are shocked to see a neighbor over watering his lawn, allowing chemicals to seep into storm drains. They are happy to turn their unsuspecting overwatering neighbor into a brocean bro that knows how to take care of his bay.
From Lil Wrapper to littered wrapper. How does a promising snack star on the rise in east county, end up as a potential threat to innocent seahorses in #SanDiegoBay?
Keep the Seas Plastic Free
Leaving just one small piece of trash may seem like no big deal - but those little bits add up, and they don't just stay put or go away on their own.
Dump at the Pump
We want you to have fun on your boat - just make sure it all stays on your boat...vessel sewage is not allowed to be discharged into the bay!