The Future of the Port
The Port of San Diego has been conducting an Integrated Planning initiative that is often referred to as “the future of the Port.” The Port is in the final, policy-development phase of the projected multi-year planning process to update the Port Master Plan. To date, the Port has conducted extensive public outreach and completed the Visioning phase. The current work entails drafting the policy document, along with additional public outreach at every step of the way.
This agency-wide initiative will guide the future of approximately 6,000 acres of land and water within Port of San Diego jurisdiction along the San Diego Bay waterfront. Launched in 2013 by then-Chair Ann Moore, Integrated Planning will ensure a holistic, thoughtful, and balanced approach to future land and water uses for generations to come.
Award Winning Outreach
Recent awards for this initiative include:
- 2018 (CAPIO) Excellence in Public Information and Communications (EPIC) Award
- 2017 Silver Bernays Award of Excellence for Community Relations
- 2017 National Environmental Excellence Award, National Association of Environmental Professionals
- 2016 National Planning Excellence Award for a Planning Advocate (Commissioner Ann Moore), American Planning Association
- 2016 Silver Bernays Award of Excellence – Public Affairs (Cook and Schmid), Public Relations Society of America
- 2016 President’s Award (HKS Urban Design Studio/Randy Morton), American Institute of Architects San Diego
The Integrated Planning process is tailored for the unique needs of the Port. It begins by understanding both maritime and non-maritime uses on San Diego Bay, then looks inland to examine how the Port, San Diego Bay and the tidelands affect the entire region, including critical upland links.
This planning process is based on comprehensive analysis and investigation, all informed by extensive public outreach, including over 100 interviews with stakeholders and agencies, public workshops and Board meetings.
The Port completed the visioning phase of the Integrated Planning process with a Framework Report accepted by the Board in November 2015. Currently, the Port of San Diego is using that framework to update its Port Master Plan. A Port Master Plan serves as a blueprint for future development and is similar to what is known as a General Plan in a city or county.
During the Port Master Plan update, goals include:
- Balancing the needs of development with those of natural resources.
- Modernizing the plan by prioritizing key planning features and clearly defining land and water use guidelines for development, with flexibility to adjust to market demands.
- Simplifying the plan in order to streamline the permitting process for developers, investors, and Port staff.
Timeline of Integrated Planning
Integrated Planning process begins with extensive public outreach, including more than 100 interviews with stakeholders and agencies, public workshops and Board of Port Commissioners meetings. HKS Urban Design Studio/Randy Morton is hired to lead Phase 1.
Vision Statement and Guiding Principles are accepted by the Board of Port Commissioners.
Framework Report is accepted by the Board in November 2015, concluding the visioning phase.
Initiation of Port Master Plan Update and scenario planning. Port staff begin working with the architectural firm, AECOM, to produce a draft updated Port Master Plan document.
- 3/9/2017: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #1
- 3/23/17: Public Open House #1 to learn about and discuss the Port Master Plan Update
- 4/27/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #2
- 5/11/17: Public Open House #2 to learn about and discuss the Port Master Plan Update.
- 5/25/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #3
- 8/8/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #4
- 8/10/17: Public Open House #3 - recap of 8/8/17 Board Workshop
- 10/10/17: Scheduled Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop (Postponed to 11/14/17 due to water main break)
- 10/12/17: Scheduled Port Master Plan Update Public Open House (Postponed to 11/15/17)
- 10/12/17: 2017 Silver Bernays Award of Excellence – Community Relations (Port of San Diego/Nuffer Smith Tucker), Public Relations Society of America
- 11/14/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #5
- 11/15/17: Public Open House #4 - recap of 11/14/17 Board Workshop
- 12/5/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #6
- 12/12/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #7
Public review of draft Port Master Plan and Environmental Impact Report