We know you love your bay, you own it, you want to take care of it, it’s your number one priority; you are ready to change your relationship status to make it official. Okay, maybe that’s a bit much, but we all love San Diego Bay and want to be sure it stays the pristine natural resource it is for generations to come. When you visit, we want you to say to yourself, #ThatsMyBay! And sometimes, it just takes a simple reminder not to take your bay for granted. So the Port of San Diego is here with helpful tips and suggestions on how we can all do our part to keep our bay looking classy, not trashy!
Keep a Lid on it!
Not everything is meant to be shared with your bay! Top of the list? Garbage! So put it in the trash, and Keep a Lid on it! Really - a child can do it. Trash Trooper Trish is no relationship expert but she knows a thing or two about protecting your bay from flying debris, critters and maggots! Relationships can be messy - there’s no reason your bay has to be a part of all that. #ThatsMyBay
#DYK? 5 Reasons to keep lids on trash cans:
- Closed lids keep the wind out. Open trash cans allow the wind to blow trash into yards and streets, and eventually the bay and ocean.
- Closed lids keep the birds out. Open trash cans invite birds to eat garbage and contribute to littering, which isn’t good for them, and makes more of a mess with bird poop all around.
- Closed lids keep the animals out. Open trash cans invite rodents and other animals to eat garbage, from mice, to rats, to raccoons!
- Closed lids keep the flies out. Maggot infestations occur when a fly gets into rotting meat or other food and lays eggs. No one wants that!
- Closed lids keep the rain out. When the rain flows into our storm drains, we want it to just be pure rain - not bacteria infested trash rain that has been filtered through garbage cans!
Help us keep our bay clean by keeping a lid on it!
Take Care of Your Trash
San Diego Bay doesn’t just belong to all of us - it belongs to each of us.
Traveling With Trash
Keep a Monkey Grip on Your Trash! Hang-on Hank says, "When traveling with trash, be sure it doesn't escape from your car or truck so there is no risk of it blowing into the bay."
Mime Your Butts
MIke the Mime’s message is loud and clear - Mime Your Butts!
Keep A Lid On It
Meet Trash Trooper Trish and help us keep our bay clean by keeping a lid on it!
Two bay loving bros are shocked to see a neighbor over watering his lawn, allowing chemicals to seep into storm drains. They are happy to turn their unsuspecting overwatering neighbor into a brocean bro that knows how to take care of his bay.
From Lil Wrapper to littered wrapper. How does a promising snack star on the rise in east county, end up as a potential threat to innocent seahorses in #SanDiegoBay?