The Port of San Diego and San Diego Gas & Electric have established a partnership to enhance energy efficiency throughout the Tidelands. This collaborative effort will serve as a resource to improve energy efficiency education and planning, with the goal of accomplishing long-lasting reductions in regional energy use.
SDG&E manages funds from California utility customers (under the auspices of the California Public Utilities commission) to create energy efficiency partnerships with local governments. The Port is using these funds to develop several programs to benefit Port employees, our tenants, and the public. Below is a brief summary of these ongoing efforts.
Energy Efficiency at the Port:
- The Port has designed an energy efficiency education program focused on three target audiences: Port employees, Port tenants, and the public. The program includes training opportunities, lecture series, and outreach events such as holiday light exchanges.
- Energy use in Port buildings is being tracked and compared to other buildings in order to understand and decrease our energy demand. This process is a critical component in obtaining rebates and achieving third-party certifications such as ENERGY STAR certification or LEED-Existing Building certification.
- A Port-wide energy audit was completed and will be used to identify and prioritize projects that will save money and decrease our energy demand. Implementation of these efforts will begin in 2013 and will include lighting retrofits and improvements to our heating and air conditioning system.
Port of San Diego Green Business Network:
- Businesses on Port of San Diego Tidelands now have the opportunity to participate in the Green Business Network, an innovative and voluntary program that helps participants save money while challenging them to further reduce their environmental impact. Network members are part of a media campaign that highlight their efforts to reduce energy use and improve their environmental stewardship.
- Participants are offered free training, services, and tools that help reduce their operating costs through energy and resource conservation efforts.
Are you a Port tenant interested in participating? Visit our Green Business Network website to register.
San Diego Area Residents:
- Interested in learning more about energy efficiency upgrades you can make to your home? Visit the SDG&E's Energy Innovation Center calendar for free trainings and events.
Additional SDG&E Program Opportunities:
- Learn how SDG&E can help you save money on your utility bill.