If the Harbor Police has stored a vehicle owned by you, an administrative processing fee must be paid before your vehicle can be released by the tow yard. This fee is necessary to defray costs the Port incurred when towing your vehicle.
You will pay this fee to along with any impound fees to the storing towing company when you pick up your vehicle.
- Vehicles can be retrieved 24 hours a day, 7 days a week after paying the administrative and towing fees. You may go directly to the specific towing company that stored or impounded your vehicle unless your vehicle was towed for one of the following violations:
- 14602.6 - Driving while suspended, 30-day hold
- 22651(i) – Issued 5 or more unpaid parking citations
- 22651(o) – Expired Registration
- 22651(p) – Driving while unlicensed/suspended driver’s license
- Evidence Holds
If your vehicle was impounded for one of the above reasons, you must obtain a signed release from the Harbor Police prior to going to the towing company’s storage yard. This service is available 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week, (outside of normal business hours, the wait time is subject to officer availability).
Prior to any vehicle with a police hold being released, the registered owner must appear in person with current registration, proof of current insurance, and a valid driver's license as well as any other applicable documents showing proof of correction.
- A driver with a valid driver's license must be present for the release of all vehicles impounded or stored.
- ONLY cash, major credit card, cashier's check, or money order is accepted.
- If the registration is not current, you will be required to have CURRENT REGISTRATION or ALL D.M.V. FEES POSTED with a one day moving permit.
For information, call the Harbor Police Department:
- During normal business hours: 619.686.6596
- After hours: 619.686.6272
IMPORTANT: PAYMENT OF THE FEE DOES NOT RELEASE YOU FROM YOUR OBLIGATION TO THE TOW AGENCY FOR THEIR FEES.
Post Storage Hearing
Under section CVC 22852, you have a right to an informal post storage hearing to determine the validity of this storage, or to request an early release for a 30-day hold.
If your appeal is successful you will not owe any fees. You must request the hearing in writing, in person, or by telephone to this department, within ten (10) days of the date of the storage notice.
Hearings are performed using the Post Storage Hearing request forms, which are available during regular business hours at the Harbor Police Department. The registered owner must complete the hearing form and return it to the front desk for review. A designated hearing officer will conduct the review. The hearing officer will advise you of his/her decision by phone or mail, within 48 hours (excluding weekends and holidays.) Harbor Police Department at 619.686.6596 during normal business hours.