Tidelands Activation Program (TAP)
This annual grant program supports events, large and small, that engage the community and inspire visitors to enjoy San Diego Bay. Events are selected through a rigorous public evaluation process led by the Tidelands Activation Program Advisory Committee, which includes members of the community.
Tidelands Activation Program Sponsorship
The Port of San Diego offers sponsorship to community organized events through the Tidelands Activation Program (TAP) in effort to create a vibrant waterfront experience. This annual grant program provides funding and/or service fee waivers, for large and small events that engage the community and inspire visitors to enjoy San Diego Bay.
Applications for event sponsorships are submitted annually for the upcoming fiscal year, which runs from July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. The timeline for applying for the FY20 TAP, is as follows:
|November 9, 2018||FY20 TAP application release|
|January 6, 2019||FY20 TAP application deadline|
|January–February 2019||District staff review|
|March 2019||TAP Advisory Committee review|
|April 2019||Board review and approval|
Apply for the Tidelands Activation Program
The FY20 TAP application must be completed online. Prior to applying, we encourage you to download and review the sample application to familiarize yourself with the requirements. Do not email, fax, or hand deliver the application as this will not be accepted. Only online applications that are submitted by 5PM PST Sunday, January 6, 2019 will be reviewed. The Port is not responsible for applications that are not received due to technical issues.
Criteria for Evaluating Sponsorship Applications
- Events should take place on Port Tidelands. This includes the 22 public parks, Broadway Pier & Pavilion, B Street Pier & Cruise Ship Terminal and public open space along San Diego Bay.
- Moving events with no single fixed location such as runs, walks and bike rides, at least a portion of the event must occur on Port Tidelands.
- The number of people the event will attract to the Port Tidelands considering the area utilized, the nature of the event and the affected community.
- The ability of the event to do one or more of the following:
- Attract diverse visitors and demographics to District Tidelands;
- Foster relationships between the Port and its stakeholders in the region and community;
- Provide a desirable attraction that is rare or unique to the Port Tidelands;
- Provide the Port with opportunities to educate the public and its stakeholders, promote one or more of its mission areas, attract attention to future economic activities and opportunities on the Port Tidelands, and activate its parks, the waterfront and San Diego Bay through community engagement and/or media coverage;
- Become self-sustaining through broad support and sustainable funding;
- Grow in numbers.
- The applicant's ability to measure the event's attendance and support.
- Percentage of the event's budget that is being requested from the Port (funding and services).
- Projected impacts of the event on Port tenant businesses and the surrounding community.
- Documented past and expected future economic impact and financial return to the District. For certain events,
- the Port may audit and/or require the applicant to conduct a post-event economic impact analysis.
- Expected promotional and/or marketing value of the event for the Port through attendee participation, event promotion and media coverage.
Information for Event Organizers
Click for the Tidelands Activation Program - Event Organizer Toolkit and Event Wrap-Up Form.
Applications open October/November 2018
Event Organizer Deliverables
PNG Logo Files
EPS Logo Files
Online Inclusion Links
Event Permit Logistics
More documents and FAQs below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much funding can I request from the Tidelands Activation Program?
While there is no pre-established limit for requesting funding or service fee waivers, the Board of Port Commissioners sets the program’s total budget on an annual basis.
What is the annual budget allotted for the Tidelands Activation Program?
The annual budget varies from year to year. Annually, the Port receives requests that exceed the available TAP budget.
What types of service fee waivers can I apply for?
Service fees include the Port’s park and facility permitting, parking, stage rental, dockage and wharfage, and relocation of furnishings. Other services will be considered on a case-by-case basis, and you may be required to pay for certain services even if your event is sponsored with waivers of facility fees.
How will I know if my sponsorship application was approved?
You will be notified of Port staff's initial recommendation via email. Additionally, you can attend the Tidelands Activation Program Advisory Committee (TAPAC) meeting and the Board of Port Commissioners meeting where the final approval is made. Following the Board meeting, a complete list of approved sponsorships will be available.
Tidelands Activation Program Schedule of Events for FY 19/20
|6/28/2019||Bayside Summer Nights|
|7/1/2019||Ocean Connectors Eco Tours|
|7/4/2019||Coronado Fourth of July Celebration|
|7/4/2019||4th of July Fireworks|
|7/4/2019||Crown City Classic|
|7/6/2019||Free Yoga in the City|
|7/6/2019||Horizon Music Festival|
|7/8/2019||Activation of the National City Aquatic Center: “Explore Water Sports” summer classes and field trips|
|7/12/2019||Movies on the Bay|
|7/13/2019||Summer Concert Series|
|7/13/2019||Sun and Sea Festival|
|7/27/2019||South Bay Latin Music Festival|
|7/27/2019||Barks & Brews|
|8/1/2019||Pepper Park Pop-up Series|
|8/3/2019||Farm to Bay 2019|
|8/8/2019||Conservation Concert on the Bay
NOT ON TIDELANDS
|8/10/2019||Youth Fishing Program|
|8/11/2019||Chula Vista Triathlon|
|8/17/2019||Chula Vista HarborFest|
|8/24/2019||Kiwanis Kids Fishing Derby|
|8/24/2019||Bayside Gospel Concert Aboard the Midway|
|8/24/2019||San Diego Spirits Festival|
|8/25/2019||12th Annual Bike The Bay|
|8/31/2019||U.S. Sand Sculpting Challenge and Dimensional Art Exposition|
|9/6/2019||Chief Petty Officer Pride Day|
|9/7/2019||San Diego Blues Festival|
|9/14/2019||The 12th Annual South Bay PRIDE Art and Music Festival|
|9/21/2019||3rd Annual Bayside Brew and Spirits Festival|
|9/21/2019||SDPAC San Diego Festival of Beer|
|9/22/2019||Coronado Music Festival|
|9/27/2019||LEAD THE WAY|
|9/28/2019||Kiwanis Kids Ocean Science Discovery Day|
|9/28/2019||Teal Steps Walk|
|10/5/2019||Symphony by the Sea|
|10/5/2019||San Diego Fire Rescue 5K & Kids Run|
|10/13/2019||Animals on the Bay Day 2019|
|11/3/2019||Pacific Rim Park 25th Anniversary Celebration - Year of the Pacific Family|
|11/6/2019||San Diego Fleet Week|
|11/9/2019||Ride the Point|
|11/11/2019||San Diego Veterans Day Parade|
|11/20/2019||Assemblymember Lorena Gonzalez - Annual Operation Gobble 2019|
|11/21/2019||San Diego Ramen Festival|
|11/23/2019||San Diego Bay Wine + Food Festival|
|12/6/2019||Snow Mountain and Holiday Events|
|12/8/2019||48th Annual San Diego Bay Parade of Lights|
|12/14/2019||Makers Arcade Holiday Fair|
|12/21/2019||San Diego Convention Center's 30th Anniversary "Winter Wonderfront" Celebration|
|12/22/2019||Semester at Sea - Prospective Student Open Ship Event, Parent Event and multiple educational events throughout 12/23/2019-01/05/2020|
|1/19/2020||Martin Luther King Jr. Parade|
|2/26/2020||San Diego Bird Festival|
|3/8/2020||8th Annual International Mariachi Festival and Competition|
|3/14/2020||Best Coast Beer Fest|
|3/20/2020||San Diego Yoga Festival|
|4/25/2020||Pacific Rim Festival|
|4/25/2020||20th Annual Sheila R. Hardin San Diego Multi-Cultural Festival|
|4/25/2020||Barrio Logan Grand Prix|
|4/25/2020||South Bay Maritime Fest|
|5/1/2020||Celebration of Champions|
|5/7/2020||Gator By The Bay|
|5/17/2020||34th Annual Navy Bay Bridge Run/Walk|
|5/23/2020||Port of San Diego Festival of the Sea|
|5/30/2020||San Diego Bay Festival|
|6/11/2020||San Diego International Boat Show|
|6/14/2020||9th Annual Port of San Diego Kids Fishing Derby|
|6/20/2020||Pow wow by the Sea|
|6/20/2020||Mass Creativity Day|
What's Happening at the Port?