The Port of San Diego and The Brigantine, Inc. are transforming one of Southern California's iconic, flagship waterfront restaurant sites - 1360 North Harbor Drive along the North Embarcadero. The Brigantine’s Portside Pier will offer dining options to please everyone’s palate – from fresh seafood and authentic Mexican, to pub fare, coffee and gelato; not to mention first-rate views of San Diego Bay and free public access to enjoy those views! Project completion is currently anticipated for mid-2020.
The Brigantine's Portside Pier project includes four dining concepts:
- Brigantine on the Bay – “Will feature San Diego’s finest surf and turf… signature oyster bar, and a lounge with exhibition cooking.”
- Miguel’s Cocina – “Serves up some of the most authentic Mexican flavors north of the border.”
- Ketch Grill & Taps – “Casual walkup, dine-in and take-out grill… connects San Diego’s unique, fresh pub fare, with the area’s thriving craft beers and spirits community.”
- Portside Gelato & Coffee – “Will brew fresh coffee and espresso from a local roaster, Café Moto, and offer a wide assortment of fine gelato.”
The Brigantine's Portside Pier project includes various public access features, such as:
- Second floor public walkway with panoramic views of San Diego Bay.
- Second floor public viewing deck with tables and benches for up to 108 visitors.
- A dock and dine available for use by patrons and non-patrons of the adjacent restaurant.
Portside Pier Timeline
The Brigantine has been serving San Diego for nearly 50 years and has a proven track record as a strong operator that has redeveloped and rebranded underperforming restaurant locations.
The Port issues an RFP for the redevelopment of the restaurant site at 1360 North Harbor Drive.
The Port selects The Brigantine, Inc. and its Portside Pier concept.
The Port approves a 40-year lease with The Brigantine, Inc.
Demolition begins of the existing building at the site.
The contractor begins work on the site in preparation for construction of Portside Pier.
The Port and The Brigantine celebrate the start of construction.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is so special about the site?
The location is 1360 North Harbor Drive, nestled within the Embarcadero of San Diego, which is the downtown waterfront area of an urban region of over 2.7 million people. It is between Ash Street and Broadway, which is within the high activity civic zone. It is one of the only restaurants on the bay constructed entirely on an overwater platform with panoramic views of the bay. The project involves the demolition of an outdated restaurant building and the development of a new restaurant complex that will enhance the aesthetics of the waterfront with a unique architectural structure.