The project required the preparation of an Environmental Impact Report (EIR). In compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the EIR assesses the potentially significant direct, indirect, and cumulative environmental effects of the proposed project. In addition, the EIR must identify potential feasible means of avoiding or substantially lessening significant adverse impacts, and must evaluate a range of reasonable alternatives to the proposed project.
Old Police Headquarters
The Old Police Headquarters building, located adjacent to Seaport Village, just underwent an extensive renovation. Built in 1939, it is a designated historic building. It served as the headquarters for the San Diego Police Department from 1939 until 1987, when the department moved to a larger, more modern facility in downtown San Diego. Terramar Retail Centers, managing member of Seaport Village Operating Company, LLC, which holds a 40-year lease with the Port of San Diego on the Old Police Headquarters site, oversaw the renovation work. The renovation maintains the architectural style of the original building in all of the project details.
The renovation converted three existing buildings into 30 shops and restaurants. Roof tiles, wood doors, ironwork, skylights, windows and other elements were preserved.
It is branded as "The Headquarters," a premier shopping, dining and entertainment destination. Currently there are 22 tenants with five anchor restaurants, including the Cheesecake Factory, Pizzeria Mozza, Puesto, Season's 52 and Eddie V's. There is also a weekly outdoor farmer's market featured on Sundays.
The Headquarters officially opened for business November 17, 2013. For more information on its shops, restaurants and events, please refer to its webpage
Please contact the Office of the District Clerk for public documents.
Opened in 1939, the Old Police Headquarters was a historic structure consisting of several linked buildings around a large open-air courtyard. The buildings, which contained approximately 74,600 square feet on the first floor and 26,228 square feet on the second floor (total of 100,828 square feet) included the former jail and processing area, administration and police offices, assembly area, gym, food service, auto repair facility, and courtrooms. The design reflected an eclectic combination of Spanish Colonial Revival and Classical styles. The property was vacated in 1987 when the San Diego Police relocated to a new building.
The project site is located within the City of San Diego at the end of Pacific Highway, bounded by Harbor Drive to the north, Kettner Boulevard to the east, Ruocco Park to the west, and existing Seaport Village parking areas to the south. The project site is 6.37 acres and is situated within the Port's Planning District 3, Centre City Embarcadero. The project did not include work west of the Pacific Highway centerline.