The Port of San Diego invites the public to attend the latest engagement opportunities for stakeholders during the drafting and discussion of the Port Master Plan Update, which has been a priority project throughout 2017, with a total of twelve public meetings and events this calendar year.
A historic, innovative and award-winning initiative of the Port of San Diego
Sign up for email alerts for upcoming events: Sign up for email updates
The Port of San Diego has been conducting an Integrated Planning initiative that is often referred to as “the future of the Port.” The Port is more than halfway through the projected five-year planning process to update the Port Master Plan.
This agency-wide initiative will guide the future of approximately 6,000 acres of land and water within Port of San Diego jurisdiction along the San Diego Bay waterfront. Launched in 2013 by then-Chair Ann Moore, Integrated Planning will ensure a holistic, thoughtful, and balanced approach to future land and water uses for generations to come.
Recent awards for this initiative include:
- 2017 Silver Bernays Award of Excellence for Community Relations
- 2017 National Environmental Excellence Award, National Association of Environmental Professionals
- 2016 National Planning Excellence Award for a Planning Advocate (Commissioner Ann Moore), American Planning Association
- 2016 Silver Bernays Award of Excellence – Public Affairs (Cook and Schmid), Public Relations Society of America
- 2016 President’s Award (HKS Urban Design Studio/Randy Morton), American Institute of Architects San Diego
The Integrated Planning process is tailored for the unique needs of the Port. It begins by understanding both maritime and non-maritime uses on San Diego Bay, then looks inland to examine how the Port, San Diego Bay and the tidelands affect the entire region, including critical upland links.
This planning process is based on comprehensive analysis and investigation, all informed by extensive public outreach, including over 100 interviews with stakeholders and agencies, public workshops and Board meetings.
The Port completed the visioning phase of the Integrated Planning process with a Framework Report accepted by the Board in November 2015. Currently, the Port of San Diego is using that framework to update its Port Master Plan. A Port Master Plan serves as a blueprint for future development and is similar to what is known as a General Plan in a city or county.
During the Port Master Plan update, goals include:
- Balancing the needs of development with those of natural resources.
- Modernizing the plan by prioritizing key planning features and clearly defining land and water use guidelines for development, with flexibility to adjust to market demands.
- Simplifying the plan in order to streamline the permitting process for developers, investors, and Port staff.
>>Submit a Public Comment on the Port Master Plan Update
INTEGRATED PLANNING TIMELINE:
12/12/17: Port Master Plan Update Special Board meeting Public Board Workshop
12/5/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop
11/15/17: Public Open House #4 - recap of 11/14/17 Board Workshop
11/14/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop
10/12/17: 2017 Silver Bernays Award of Excellence – Community Relations (Port of San Diego/Nuffer Smith Tucker), Public Relations Society of America
10/10/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop (Postponed to 11/14/17due to water main break)
8/10/17: Public Open House #3 - recap of 8/8/17 Board Workshop
8/8/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop
- pdf 08-08-17 BPC PMPU Presentation on Policy Concepts Presentation and Direction to Staff (24.90 MB)
5/25/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop
5/11/17: Open House #2 to learn about and discuss the Port Master Plan Update.
4/27/17: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop
3/23/17: Open House #1 to learn about and discuss the Port Master Plan Update.
- VIDEO: Port of San Diego Integrated Planning – Port Master Plan UpdatePort of San Diego Integrated Planning – Port Master Plan Update
- pdf Integrated Planning Open House #1 Presentation 2017 (2.26 MB)
3/9/2017: Port Master Plan Update Public Board Workshop #1
2017: Public review of draft Port Master Plan and Environmental Impact Report.
2016: Initiation of Port Master Plan Update and scenario planning. Port staff begin working with the architectural firm, AECOM, to produce a draft updated Port Master Plan document.
2015: Framework Report is accepted by the Board in November 2015, concluding the visioning phase.
2014: Vision Statement and Guiding Principles are accepted by the Board of Port Commissioners.
2013: Integrated Planning process begins with extensive public outreach, including more than 100 interviews with stakeholders and agencies, public workshops and Board of Port Commissioners meetings. HKS Urban Design Studio/Randy Morton is hired to lead Phase 1.
The Port of San Diego invites the public to attend the latest engagement opportunities for stakeholders during the drafting and discussion of the Port Master Plan Update.
- Tuesday, November 14, 2017: The Board of Port Commissioners will hold a workshop to discuss Coastal Access and Recreation Element Policy Concepts and Land and Water Use Element Policy Concepts. The Board will also discuss policy concepts and updated land and water use maps for the Coronado Bayfront, Silver Strand, Imperial Beach Oceanfront and South Bay Planning Districts. The workshops will be an item within the regular Board meeting agenda, which begins in open session at 1 p.m. in the Port of San Diego Administration Building, 3165 Pacific Highway, San Diego 92101.
- Wednesday, November 15, 2017: The public is invited to participate in Open House #4, during which Port staff will recap the November 14, 2017 Board meeting discussion on the Coastal Access and Recreation Element Policy Concepts and Land and Water Use Element Policy Concepts, and will hold informal breakout sessions for participants to ask questions, provide input and dialogue with project team members. The event will be from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Port of San Diego Administration Building, 3165 Pacific Highway, San Diego 92101.
The Public Relations Society of America, San Diego and Imperial Counties Chapter, has selected the Port of San Diego’s Integrated Planning Port Master Plan Update process for a 2017 Silver Bernays Award of Excellence for Community Relations.
The Public Relations Society of America presented the award to the Port of San Diego and its consultant, Nuffer, Smith, Tucker, at its annual awards dinner on October 12, 2017.