The primary objective of the current MOU between the Port of San Diego and the cities of San Diego and Imperial Beach is to determine the "highest and best" use of the Pond 20 parcel.
To make this determination, the Port is conducting an extensive stakeholder outreach process to solicit feedback and project ideas.
The outreach process has four primary components:
- Public Outreach: The first component is to reach out to various stakeholders to discuss the objectives of the MOU and the process by which the Port will be soliciting project ideas. Presentations will be given to community groups, planning committees, environmental groups and other stakeholders to discuss the process and encourage participation in the process. Tentative timeline: February through April 2012.
- Development Workshops: During the second phase of the outreach process, the Port will be hosting development workshops. These forums will be set up so any party interested in submitting a project proposal can speak directly with port staff, review past studies, and obtain information on public comments that were received during the initial outreach sessions. The intent of these workshops is to ensure that anyone interested in submitting a project proposal has the information they need to develop their proposal. Tentative timeline - April through May 2012.
- Letters of Interest: The third phase of the outreach process is the submittal of Letters of Interest. Anyone interested in submitting a project proposal will have 45 days after the last development workshop to submit a letter of interest. Port staff will then review and discuss all letters of interest with the cities of Imperial Beach and San Diego. Ultimately, a staff recommendation for a process to move forward on Pond 20 will be developed. Tentative timeline - June 2012.
- Public Outreach, Second Round: The final phase of the outreach process is to present the staff recommendation to the public and solicit feedback prior to bringing a recommendation to the Board of Port Commissioners for consideration. Tentative timeline - July through September 2012.
- Recommendation to the Board of Port Commissioners: Fall 2012