Just because it's hot outside doesn't mean you have to lose your cool when paying your electrical bill.
These green home cooling tips from WebMD will help you save money and keep your cool during the dog days of summer. The article includes tips to reduce your body heat, low-tech interior and exterior cooling, and air conditioning settings and maintenance. Here is a list of some choice cooling advice:
- Close your shades during the day to keep the heat out during the hottest hours.
- Keep your refrigerator stocked - a full fridge requires less energy to stay cool.
- Check your A/C unit and thermostat for maximal efficient operation.
- Consider investing in the future with bigger projects like planting trees and installing whole house fans.
- Using Energy Star light bulbs not only saves you money by using less electricity, they also produce 75% less heat!
Stay informed about Green Practices by signing up for the Port of San Diego's environmental tips email newsletter.